I always see these gorgeous rolls pop up on Pinterest. They're just so pretty, and the concept just sounded delicious to me.
This week, I had plenty of zucchini in the fridge, and in an effort to keep my wheat-intake low thought it might be high time to try them!
Full disclosure: I did NOT use ricotta cheese, which would normally be used for a lasagna, I used mozzarella instead. Kris doesn't like many cheeses, so it limits my options somewhat when cooking. Now, the mozzarella was DELICIOUS... but if you felt like trying the ricotta and then letting me know I'd sure appreciate it ;)
I decided to "wing" this recipe a little bit, taking what I love about lasagna, and grilled zucchini, and combining into delicious bite sized rolls. The result was a taste sensation, that also happens to look gorgeous when presented, as above. I felt very fancy-pants serving it up for dinner.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups (serves 2-4)
- 4 large zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 - 1/2 tomato sauce (use as desired, I stuck closer to 1/3 cup) - plus 1/2 extra.
- mozzarella cheese slices, thin, roughly 1" squared. You need 2 per roll up
- salt, pepper, rosemary, basil and thyme, to season as desired.
1) In a medium pan over medium high heat cook your ground beef until browned, seasoning with spices as desired (I go heaviest on the basil, and then light on everything else). When cooked and seasoned, add your tomato sauce. You don't want it to be too saucy, just well coated in the tomato sauce. Set aside.
2) Take your thinly sliced zucchini and grill, flipping half way, until pliable and showing distinct grill marks on either side.
3) Pre heat your oven to 350 F. While it heats, lay your grilled zucchini out on a work surface. For each piece, take a spoonful of your ground beef mixture and place in the middle of the zucchini. Spread it out into a thin-ish layer almost the full length of the squash, leaving a little room at the top and the bottom.
4) Place one piece of mozzarella on top of the ground beef, near the bottom. Make sure you have a tooth pick and a second piece of mozzarella on hand, then fold the bottom of the zucchini up, and then bring the top down, overlapping the bottom. Where the "seam" is created, place your second piece of mozzarella, and secure with a toothpick.
5) When you've done this with all the pieces, take a large clear baking dish and pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of the dish, spreading around to create a thin layer. Place your rolls on top of the sauce and then pop in the oven until the cheese on top starts to melt!
When you're putting to plate, remove the zucchini rolls, then take the sauce from the dish and lightly pour over top of each piece. If you're feeling extra fancy, garnish with Parmesan!