Doesn't that just roll off the tongue?
Try this easy recipe for Baked Breaded Eggplant Mozzarella to serve with your traditional pasta, rather than a veal or pork breaded cutlet. It's time for another Meatless Monday Recipe!
Baked Breaded Eggplant Mozzarella (Serves 6-8)
- 1 eggplant
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp flour mixed with 4 tbsp olive oil (you may need twice this, just keep ratio 1:1)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- Mozzarella Cheese slices (one per eggplant piece)
1) Preheat your oven to 350F, and prep two bowls, one with your breadcrumbs, the other with your olive oil/flour mixture.
**note: instead of olive oil/flour you can just use two eggs beaten, but I like the olive oil since we're baking and not frying on the stove.
2) Take your eggplant and cut slices width-wise. Each slice should be no thicker than a centimeter. Lightly sprinkle each piece with salt.
3) place your slice into the first bowl with olive oil and flour, coating well and then removing excess with your fingers. Quickly dunk into breadcrumb bowl on each side to coat, and then set aside on cookie sheet. Don't worry if the piece isn't fully coated.
4) Make sure your slices are in a single layer (you may need two cookie sheets). When all the slices are coated, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the slices and then place into oven on middle of rack. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, then remove and flip the pieces. Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
5) When all pieces are baked, remove from oven and place thin slice of mozzarella on top of each piece (as desired - you'll see from the photos I only did some of the pieces). Return to oven under broiler, until cheese has melted.
Remove from oven and serve immediately with spaghetti and tomato sauce!