If you're looking for a delicious and easy pasta dish with a good helping of meat and veggies in a homemade sauce, look no further!
This dinner has it all, is easy to prepare, and is always well received.
Sausage and Pepper Bistro Pasta (serves 4)
- 3 Italian sausages, with the meat removed from casings, cut roughly, and sprinkled lightly with salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 small bell peppers, sliced (I used a mix of red, yellow and orange)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 small tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups Rotini
1) In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add your garlic and onion and saute until soft. When that's done, add your sausage meat and break apart while it cooks (Into a rough ground). When the meat is finished browning, increase heat and add the red wine, cooking until reduced by half. Spoon your meat mixture (leaving about half the wine) into a bowl and set aside.
2) Add your peppers to the frying pan with the remaining wine mixture and saute until soft. When cooked, pour all the contents of the frying pan into the bowl containing your meat mixture.
3) Reduce heat to medium. Add your diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the frying pan. Simmer until tomatoes break apart, stirring occasionally. At this point, put your pasta on to cook.
4) When your tomatoes have broken down into a rough sauce, add your meat mixture and peppers back into the frying pan and mix well over medium heat. While your pasta finishes cooking, let the flavours mix together while simmering.
5) Strain your pasta and add to the sauce. Mix well and you're ready to serve!
You may want to add Basil or Parsley to your sauce mixture for some additional seasoning.
This dish is quick and easy to whip together and serve on nights that you want to feel fancy with minimal effort. Cut your cooking time down a bunch by using more than one frying pan (I'm just against dishes).