Today is the first day of autumn!
Fall has long been my favourite season. I don’t know if it’s because I still get back to school excitement, or if the hibernation is kicking in but I love it.
Of course, fall does have drawbacks as well… As my boyfriend regularly points out to me “you’re crazy. Summer is the best. The only good thing about Fall is that we’re moving forward toward next summer.”
With that in mind I compiled my own list of Fall pros and cons in honour of the Autumnal Equinox.
- Fashion: Bring on the boots! Everything about fall fashion makes me happy and I've been turning over my closet for weeks! Cute boots with jeans, tights and long sweaters, scarves scarves scarves and gorgeous coats. There's something so inspiring about fall fashion, and I look forward to it all year long! (Follow me on my Pinterest to check out the Fall Fashion I love!)
- Pumpkin Spiced Lattes (and other great fall foods): the PSL is back, but that's not all! Apple pie, Sunday roasts, soups and stews and, of course, hot apple cider! It's a good thing bikini season is a long way off, I have work to do!
- Beautiful Colours in Nature: There's no denying it: fall is BEAUTIFUL! Especially in Canada where we have the gorgeous red maple leaves littering the trees and the ground. It's a special time for a hike, or to go up north and enjoy the season.
- Crisp nights for sleeping: We switched to our warmer comforter last week when the nights got a bit colder. I've been sleeping like a baby!
- Thanksgiving: I have to confess, this is my favourite holiday! Canadian Thanksgiving happens in mid October and I love it! A full turkey meal, plus time with family and friends with NO gift or card requirement. Just uniting with loved ones for the sake of good food, who could ask for more?
- It’s Cozy!: The sweaters, the blankets, the scarves, or just cuddling up to loved ones when it gets a bit nippy, There's something so cozy about Fall that you can enjoy without the harsh chills of winter!
- Summer is over: Let's face it. Fall is great... but Summer is something else! When I think about how long it will be before I feel HOT again, or go up to Rock Bought'em, it makes me a bit weepy.
- Goodbye flats and sundresses, hello socks: As I mentioned, I love boots... but I despise socks. Not big, wool, wear-over-tights-like-legwarmers socks, I mean ankle and calf socks that get you through the day. I peel those puppies off as soon as I get home. They are the enemy and the one thing about fall fashion I WONT get on board with!
- Less outdoor activities: Early in the season, you can still get out and do your favourite activities (running, biking, climbing, hiking, spelunking...) but as we move toward November and early December, you can kiss those hobbies farewell until April or May
- So hungry and sleepy…: For the past week, I have been STARVING. It's become less of a need to eat and more of a need to FEED. I can also barely keep my eyes open (in spite of the better sleep). The changing weather is throwing me into hibernation mode, and as good as the food and sleeping is right now, I still need to get stuff done at work.
- It’s dark in the morning: I get up at 6:45am, which isn't even that early. For the past week I've noticed a definite change in the light when I wake up. It's a long road until December 21st when the days start getting longer, and I already miss the sun.
- It’s not long enough!: Let's face it. Fall is beautiful and wonderful! Now if it was actually 3 months... Fall may start today (or really, sometime in the next week or two) but here in Toronto it will be over before mid November (It's already snowed in Calgary, but the weather there is crazy). I need more time to enjoy my Fall weather before the Winter really settles in!
All in all, this is still my favourite season, and I'm excited it's here! So get out and make the most of the next couple months, because...