I know it's still August, but I'm getting really excited for fall.
Everything about fall makes me happy: the food, the fashion, the crisp air, apple picking, hiking, all the colours... plus my birthday!
Maybe it's because labour day is only a week away and I've started my end-of-summer-purge-of-shirts-I-didn't-wear, but tonight I decided to try a meal with a fall feel. Sweet potato, red onion and chicken in the slow cooker with some curry and ginger.
Scrumptious! Paired with my favourite kale salad and some corn on the cob (which is sweet and delicious right now!) and we were ready to go.
A new fall favourite, even if it's still summer.
Slow Cooked Curried Sweet Potato and Chicken (serves 8)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1" cubes
- Salt and Cracked pepper to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 (or 3) tbs curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
1) Layer the sweet potato chunks and chicken breast cubes in the bottom of a slow cooker
2) Season with salt and pepper
3) Stir together the garlic, red onion, apple sauce, vinegar, curry and ginger
4) Pour the mixture over the chicken and sweet potato
5) Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until chicken and potatoes are tender - cook on the lowest setting, because the chicken is already in chunks it will cook and dry out quickly if you go with the suggested time frame listed for your crock pot.
That's the easy part done! Now you wait, and check it about once every hour or so. Clean the house, do some exercise, watch a movie, write a blog post, clean your bathroom. Whatever!
I personally DON'T recommend leaving the house while you have a crockpot on... but some people see no problem with this. I think it's a fire hazard but that's just me.
When you're getting closer to food time, prep your sides! As I mentioned I had some delicious sweet corn on the cob as well as some Kale salad.